Wednesday, September 17, 2008

To Begin With...


Greetings and salutations readers. If you haven't guessed already, I'm a pretty big baseball fan. I'm also a non-practicing Jew. But I take pride in what my fellow mensches have accomplished, especially when it comes to athletics - because, let's face it, we haven't exactly taken the sports world by storm. Until recently, that is.

The resurgence of Jewish talent in baseball in the last few years has caught my eye and stirred something in my soul. In light of this "awakening," I've become somewhat of an authority on the subject. Although I suppose that's not entirely accurate; I'm a self-proclaimed authority on the subject.

Therefore, I feel obligated to prove myself to you so you know I'm not some jackass poseur who thinks the blogosphere revolves around him. I like to think I've done my homework. However, as we're all fallible if I do slip up or overlook something, please correct me, call me on my bullshit, and I will put a dunce cap on for your entertainment. That and rectify the mistake.

Finally, nothing is taboo here. I'm well aware of the fact that baseball isn't the only sport that Jews have thrived in. It just happens to be the one I'm most interested in. But on occasion we may venture into other sports. And if that's the case, I will humbly defer to your expertise. But fair warning: I'm no slouch when it comes to football and basketball...

Now that I've introduced myself properly and likely alienated half of my readership, we can get started. Let's talk baseball!

3 comments:

Matt said...

Well I certainly hope this blog lasts...

Anonymous said...

I believe Tom Hanks in A league of Their Own said it best, "There are no jews in baseball!"

Josh Borenstein said...

Pretty sure that's a misquote...